Sunday, January 10, 2016

Operation: Get Back to Normal

Happy Sunday,

As I mentioned last time, my son with autism has refused to hang out in my room (which was always the norm) because of a certain new, unwelcomed intruder I brought in heremy new 28-inch flatscreen TV and PlaySation 3 setup. (The 24-inch RCA's picture wasn't too impressive, so we exchanged it for a 28-inch LG, making it even more prominent on the desk.)

We're a bunch of home bodies, so we don't spend a lot of time chillin' outside the homefront. While I'm at my desk writing, reading, or making crafts, he usually roams around, chatting, humming, and just hanging out near me. Nowadays, he doesn't do that because of these new additions to my desk. I've been thinking of ways to make him feel comfy again and to understand that Mr. TV and PlayStation are not a threat. Here are my attempts at bringing back normalcy.

Attempt #1 - Be bold
Called his name and asked him, in a brisk tone, to come through the doorway and hang out with me for a while.

Attempt #2 - Music
I have a small stereo system on my dresser with all his CDs. We can't put a lot of items in his room because during tantrums he has proven to be part Hulk. So the DJ area must remain on my dresser if it is to have a prolonged life. He loves music, so this was his usual thing when hanging out with me, playing all his favorite songs and bobbing his head to the music. I opened up the large CD case so he could eyeball its content and told him to play me some music.

Attempt #3 - Computer time
My eldest son got a new laptop and left the old one in his room after moving away to college town. So we took it, cleaned out old files, updated the virus protection, dusted it off, and got it in working order. I put it on my bed, and turned it on to the Google search screen because he loves to look up restaurant menus and video game trailers and walk-throughs.

Attempt #4 - Conversation
I asked him questions about things he liked (through the doorway), hoping he'd feel compelled to come in and answer me face to face.

Attempt #5 - Candy
He may not enter and stay for a long time anymore, but I know that he peeks in from the doorway, so I decided to sprinkle some Starburst pieces all over my bed, dresser, and side table as a last-resort and desperate attempt to get him to come visit me.

Results

#1 - Fail
#2 - Fail
#3 - He surfed the Web for about 10 minutes. Just when I thought I'd won, he glanced over at me and my desk area, made a disgruntled face, and keeled over moaning like he was in pain for a few seconds before leaving. Drama queen! haha
#4 - Fail
#5 - He spotted the candy, walked into the room, picked up all the pieces of candy, and walked right back out. He ate them in his room.

So there. Not a total fail, but there was a surprising moment. He walked in during a period of non-attempts, patted me on the back lovingly, then left. That was priceless! Made me smile all day long. As for getting him back in there like it was in the pre-TV/PS3 days, I won't give up! I love him way too much for that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment