Sunday, January 31, 2016

Hungry man angry man

It's been a rollercoastery few weeks, but as always we live to tell about it.

Week before last, there was an act of aggression (to say the least) toward a classroom aide during lunch one day. When the school's name comes up on my cell phone caller ID in the middle of the day, I cringe a little and get a stomach cramp, especially if I know it's not time to set up an ARD. I'm not surprised said incident happened during lunch. The kiddo tends to be most testy during feeding times. I've learned the hard way to never approach a hungry lion as it devours its prey (i.e., a hamburger and fries). Thank goodness for a patient and dedicated team at the school and for that being the first such episode all school year.

I still haven't figured out how to stop or quell the projectile-spitting issue after four years of it, which is a whole other set of interesting tales. But how boring would life be without such disgusting mysteries to crack, right?

Live and Learn

As I always say, he teaches me new things all the time. I was taught a lesson just the other day during breakfast, again, feeding time. Picture this. Chocolate chip poptart on his favorite red plastic plate. Avengers cup full of Crystal Lite passion fruit punch. Little blue pill next to it on the counter. Son seated on the bar stool. We were in a time crunch, so as soon as he wolfed down the poptart, I took the plate to rinse it off. Behind me I heard a growl and turned around to see him giving me the evil glare that means "Mommy, you screwed up." Then he mumbled, "Put.The.Plate.Down. Mommy." He sat seething for a few seconds before he swallowed his med and finished his drink. Prior to the plate incident, he'd been humming happily. Suddenly, he was Poker faced and silent. During the ride to school, he kept repeating the phrase "Put the place down," even during his favorite rap playlist. Apparently, I ruined his day by taking up the plate too soon.

Next morning, I noticed he ate his poptart with one hand while the other was holding down the plate. (I turned my back to him to giggle.) He didn't take his hand off the plate until he'd finished eating, took his meds, and finished his drink. Then he released the plate from captivity and nudged it toward me across the counter, imply, "OK to rinse." Point noted!

This morning, I was awakened at 6:30 a.m. by the sound of hysterical laughter and high-pitched singing. Needless to say, I got up with a smile.

Have a wonderful weekend, all.



No comments:

Post a Comment